23 March 2020

Lumpy Custard- Pt 3 - ...And Back Again...


So how do you move on from all of this...?

How does one even begin to get one's head around everything in situations like these... the times when it feels like one step forward, 3 steps back?

In no particular order, I'd like to share with you some tools and techniques that have helped me/us head back up out of the valley again, and keep the Black Dog from venturing out too far again.

1. Feelings:  Again... acknowledge how you feel. And check in with others that are going through it with you; chances are, they're battling the same feelings and emotions that you are. In the last few weeks, I've had a few mini-meltdowns (and I'm anticipating a few more over the next few months). In talking it through with someone, I  discovered I wasn't the only one trying to hold it all together.

2. Talk It Out: It's not only the strong silent types that keep things hidden; sometimes the chatterboxes can be so good at using the constant diatribe as a cover for what's really going on. When I went through my depressive episode last year, I decided it was time I sought professional help, with a group called Supporting Families in our local city, which I found so helpful.  Sometimes, even though you know the answers, you just need someone to kick the guide wheel back on track, and confirm what you knew you know... you know?   

3. Know Your Limits - You're Not Responsible For Fixing Everything/One:  Remember me saying about the plumber with the leaky tap? The Awesome Dude gave me some terrific feedback for that... "It's not your job to fix it."
Wow.
Just having someone say that lifted such a weight from me. I cried. A little bit.

4. Play To Your Strengths: How do you operate? Are you practical-minded? Hands-on? A planner? All of the above plus/or something more? Awesome! Use those skills to sort out your next steps. Me, I'm a list-gal who will never lose my admin skills - I hope.. However it works for you, use your talents/skills to break those mountains down to hills, then to molehills - one Breath at a time, one Step at a time, one Day at a time.

5. Make Time For The Things That Matter:  
- Work to live, don't live to work - you can be replaced in a job, but you're irreplaceable to those who love you. 
- Take those walks. Never underestimate the peace that can be gained from sitting under a tree, or walking on the beach by the soothing or raging water - the power of nature can sometimes match our moods, and is somehow therapeutic. (Gotta work on this one...)
- Pet the pets. Our fur/scaly/feather-babies need us too. I have found it very difficult to visit Yuki at the house, as it's so hard to leave her behind. But she will be joining us shortly, soooooo looking forward to that 😍😻
- Feed Your Soul and Your Mind. Read the books that carry you away, listen to the music that floats your boat. And try not to rely too much on gaming and technology for your entertainment. (Still working on this one, too...)
- Laugh!! Try not to lose your sense of humour, I can't think of a quicker way to go doolally!

6. Don't Lose Sight Of What Matters. And that's got three letters - Y.O.U.
Sometime in the last couple of years, I had an epiphany. A light-bulb moment.  I woke up one day, and wondered why I had been feeling so low and down for so long. And I realised that there were people and events that kept popping back into my thoughts and mind that no longer had a need to be there. So I made a conscious effort to evict them. I also realised that my depression was due mainly to situational circumstances, and that I had the power to choose how I respond.

Do you have any idea just how liberating that is?? It's not just some cheesy psych advice, it Really Does Work! Since then, I'm off my meds, and am using some CBT methods to keep things more under control.  I use more natural products, such as magnesium, EPO and hemp seed oil (or should I say, I take 'em when I remember). It seems to be working, and even during  the recent challenges, I haven't felt the need to reach for the meds again (even though the thought may have crossed my mind a time or three). 

I AM IN NO WAY ADVOCATING that anyone stops taking their medication if it is helping you. I made a decision that seems to be working for me... my GP is aware of it, so it's all above board.  I prefer to find a natural alternative wherever possible, but I'm not adverse to medication if need be.


7.  Connect.  For introverts like me, this is a bit of a difficult one, especially when all you want to do is hibernate.  But connecting doesn't need to mean hosting a dinner party for 20, or anything like that; it can be on social media, phone/video calls, meeting up for coffee (even if it is to toast a crap-crap-crappy week, as happened last week with). Even smiling at a random stranger in the street, or random acts of kindness can have a 2-way boost - great way to get a dose of the warm fuzzies for a while to shine a momentary light into the darkness.

So now, it's onwards and upwards! Life is moving forward again, albeit rather slowly, and all the while remaining aware that COVID-19 is out there... lurking... in the shadows... somewhere...

Does any of this sound familiar? How do you deal with stressful situations?  
Please feel free to leave a comment below, I'd love to hear some techniques that help you from the valley back up to the peak again.



We got our kitty back!! She was so pleased to be back with us,
that she was lapping up the love as much as she could between her staff snoozing

No comments:

Post a Comment

- Feedback, discussion and comments are welcome. Please be respectful of the views of others.
- I have purposely used psuedonyms when referring to other people, to protect their privacy (not everyone likes to be identified). Please refrain from using real names, if you know them.
- Thanks!! I value your responses :-)