30 November 2014

That's Life!! (So Far...)

It's interesting how, at certain points in our life, we tend to get a bit retrospective; perhaps even a tad whimsical.  In a few months time, I hit another milestone - half a century on God's earth.  So I invite you now to come with me on a brief trip through my lifetime - 49 years worth, at least.

Lets start with the fan-tastical year of 1965, when this little cutie made an appearance :-)


We lived in a small hydro-electric village in the country, where my father worked as a station operator; I had a teddy-bear named Boo-Boo, who came everywhere with me.  And I still have him (although he's packed away somewhere now).  Can't remember much else from back then, so...


Onwards and upwards to circa-1969: 
My mother insisted on doing my hair in ringlets, which I strongly disliked;
Neil Armstrong set foot on our lunar satellite;  from all accounts, Bryan Adams had a fantastic "Summer of '69"; black-and-white TV; 33's, 45's and 78's; and it was the year before this wee lass endured her traumatic start to school life.
It was also around this time I was discovering I reeeeaaaalllyyy liked to sing :-D
And I liked food.


Around about 4 years later, 1973-ish:
Lassie, The Banana Splits, My Three Sons on TV (my life was centered around the goggle box); The French were nuclear testing in French Polynesia;  NZ entertainment was boosted by Mr Gumboots himself, Fred Dagg; Norm Kirk was Prime Minister; and I had my favourite Beatle Boots (a whole lot better than the white knee high socks and black lace-up shoes I had to wear!) 
Taking my mug to school for a cup of cocoa in the winter; later on, fish-and-chip lunches - it was a big deal to order your lunch at school; films in the library.  My love of music and drama was relatively well established by now (much to my family's pain).  I think it was around this time that I also started going to Bible Class one day a week after school, as well as Bible-in-Schools.  My journey towards Christianity had begun!  
It was also during these formative years, that I was an easy target for bullies - something that would continue for years; but I could always buy a spot in the 4-square line by trading my play-lunch, that was usually my mother's home cooking.
And in a few years time, thanks to some kids in my class, it would be revealed that I simply CAN NOT ABIDE SNAKES!!!!
But I still liked food. 


 
In 1976: 
McD's opened it's first restaurant in NZ, five years after Kentucky Fried Chicken; protests against apartheid and nuclear power were regular occurences;
Dad applied for a transfer, and we moved to an even smaller village.  This photo shows the entire school population.  There was no Bible class or Bible-in-Schools here.
And yup - I still loved food (which was starting to really show by now).

Moving right along, to 1978-82:
High school!!
To say I wasn't the brightest student in school would be a understatement :-p  I was more interested in detective stories like Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden and The Hardy Boys.  But I did make a few good friends, two or three of which I can still count among my small circle.  In fact, I just reconnected with one last week, and it was one of the greatest moments of my year.
My love of music continued, thanks to our school orchestra (I played violin, then viola - not greatly), and our school choir.  This book worm could also be found in the school library almost every lunch time.

Time marches on... After school, it was out into the big scary world;  I learnt to drive, had a few jobs, and joined the Scout movement as an Assistant Cub Leader.  This helped me get through some long periods of unemployment, and I learnt a lot of skills at the same time.  I was able to continue with leadership when I moved to the big city, and eventually back to my coastal home town. 

Eventually, I met a guy who would become my first husband, and father of my offspring.  An interesting and very enlightening period, which came to an end after about 7 years.

Life as a single mum was nothing if not challenging.  But I believe that for everything that happens, there is a lesson to be learnt:  it's what you do with that lesson that matters - you can let it make you, or break you.  And I chose to let it make me.  Not an easy choice, but it sure beats the alternative!!

Over the years between then and now, we moved to H-Town, where I got administration work in the local hospital.  Which is where I encountered an interesting individual known in this forum as WookieeMan.  A man with a passion for work, and heart for God.  And thankfully, he found room there for us.
And as you can see, I still reeeaaallly loved food.  And it loved me so much it didn't want to leave :-)

So, there it is - a very brief glimpse of my journey thus far.   Deliberately brief.  On purpose.  Oh, I do intend to expand on certain aspects... but that will be another story.

Till then...

y'all come back now, y'hear


"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord.  
"Plans to prosper you, and not to harm you.  
 Plans to give you hope and a future."
- Jeremiah 29:11



2 comments:

- Feedback, discussion and comments are welcome. Please be respectful of the views of others.
- I have purposely used psuedonyms when referring to other people, to protect their privacy (not everyone likes to be identified). Please refrain from using real names, if you know them.
- Thanks!! I value your responses :-)