11 April 2016

Let's Talk About... Health and Employment

There comes a time when hard decisions need to be made; in this instance, employment.  You weigh up the pros and cons, talk it over with your significant other, fret a little - or a lot.  Sometimes it may even seem that the cons outweigh the pros of the situation.  

So, what's a body to do then?

At the end of the day, it's a matter of what takes priority.  What's more important.

Sooo... in February this year, it was decided that my health was more important than money... and I resigned from my job. It was a huge step, as with the exception of about 12 months ( if that) I've been with this organisation since Halloween 2005. It's where I met my awesome hubby. In March I would have been in my admin role for 8 years.

But there comes a time when you have to say enough is enough. Because at the end of the day, we are people - not tools.

It's no secret that I have battled depression for years. Just before Christmas, I was diagnosed with chronic depression, and my main stressor was my job. WookieeMan and I had both noticed the change that was happening, and that something had to give. So on New Years Day, I wrote an action plan around what I wanted to do with the job. On Tuesday I went into work and did one thing on the list, and it just snowballed from there - on the Friday of the same week, I submitted my resignation.

So... what's next...?

I am applying for jobs in a totally different line of work. But more importantly, I am taking a minimum of a month for myself as part of my recovery, and will be aiming to rediscover what I enjoy doing again. I started this last night by entering a karaoke competition for the first time in years. (Six of us entered, and we all went through to the final in 2 weeks.)

So I am now a service user in the mental health services that I just finished working in.

A lot of people say "why do people also put such personal stuff on Facebook or wherever? They should just keep it off the internet, it's no-one else's business!" I look at things differently: if my story/circumstances can help someone else, then that's cool. I will always make myself available if anyone needs a hand or support with something that I can help with.

I'm not ashamed of my illness. And that's what it is - an illness. I understand that I've been "putting a band-aid on a broken leg" so far. But now it's time to face it and deal with it once and for it. And that's what's going to happen.

I don't say any of this to be a hero or attention-seeking or any of that other self-glorification junk. I am who I am - and a long time ago I learnt that it's ok to be myself, as long as it's not a self-serving exercise.

So... onwards and upwards!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

- Feedback, discussion and comments are welcome. Please be respectful of the views of others.
- I have purposely used psuedonyms when referring to other people, to protect their privacy (not everyone likes to be identified). Please refrain from using real names, if you know them.
- Thanks!! I value your responses :-)